Frequently Asked Questions – Artists
How do I apply to perform at M for Montreal?
We are looking for artists that wish to play our event to foster their career at a national and international level. Having a representative, a released record, some shows, music videos and Facebook fans are all a good start.
- Call for submission for 2018 will open on February 1 and close on May 15, 2019.
- Open to all artists, local and international.
- The cost is $40 CA per submission, and guarantees that your submission will be considered by the programming committee.
- Artists need to fill an online submission form with basic info like a short biography, music, photos and press links.
- Make sure you provide the most accurate and best material you can – better put all chances on your side!
- Please use the proper channel to submit – do not send an email or a physical submission.
and what happens next?
- Once the application is submitted, the primary contact will receive a confirmation email.
- The pre-selection committee will review the submissions and grade them based on originality, songwriting skills and career establishment. The top rated artists will then be submitted to the programming team, which will extend the invitations.
- We review and listen to every submission.
- If you are not accepted, we do not make any refund, but you will be allowed one (1) Artist Wristband. An artist wristband provides access to all panels, showcases and the official opening cocktail. Please note that you HAVE to request that privilege before the end of September 2019 at email@example.com.
and If I’m selected?
- Selected artists MUST have a representative with a valid accreditation (Gold or Silver Badge). The representative must be identified when the offer is accepted.
- We are a showcasing festival and do not provide support for travel, accommodation or catering.
- Performing artists receive an Artist Wristband for each band member ONLY. An artist wristband provides access to all panels, showcases and the official opening cocktail.
- We do our best to provide a basic backline for selected bands that are based outside of Montreal (drum, bass and guitar amp).
Why should you attend?
· “M” is one-of-a-kind: the music industry professionals invited to the event get to see the showcases presented, thus, your artist will be seen and heard in the best technical conditions.
· “M” allows you to connect with these industry professionals in addition to your performance, so you can specifically meet the international delegates you wish to target. M’s Speed Schmooze, cocktails and Delegate dinners are key opportunities to make new connections!
· “M” generates concrete results for the artists who played at our event. Past artists who have performed at “M” have secured record deals, festival offers, music placement, tour dates, international booking representation, etc.
· “M” is different than other events; no line-ups nor a hundred things happening at the same time, so the limited slots allow international delegates to catch your entire set.
· “M” hand picks its international delegates to ensure that we bring only influential players. Therefore, more relevant people = less waste of your time and more value for your showcase.
· “M” can be strategic & instrumental for positioning yourself internationally no matter who you are: an established act coming out with a new record or coming back after a pause or a new emerging band. At “M”, you’ll find tools to open doors; you’ll find real opportunities. We mean business.
· “A professional event organized by professionals in a professional manner: “Was literally hands-down the best music conference/festival I have been to in 15 years”- Simon Raymonde, Bella Union, United Kingdom.
· “Networking and showcasing at its best”- Martin Elbourne, Glastonbury Festival, The Great Escape and co-founder along with Peter Gabriel of the WOMAD festival, United Kingdom.
We reserve the right, in our sole discretion, to change these terms and conditions.